How to enroll in a university in Vienna

Vienna, which is often ranked among the most livable cities, offers students an exceptional quality of life

These are some guidelines to help in the process of applying to the University of Vienna.

The application process for the University of Vienna may vary depending on the level of study (Bachelor, Master, or Ph.D.) and the specific program you are interested in. Below is a general guide for applying to the Bachelor, but it is necessary to check the specific requirements for the chosen program on the official website of the university, as they may change.

Application process for the bachelor program at the University of Vienna:


1) Research and choose a program:

Explore the different programs offered by the University of Vienna and choose the one that is in line with your academic and career goals. The most important thing is to make sure that you meet the requirements for entering the program and applying.


2) Check the application deadlines:

Be aware of the application deadlines for the selected program. The University of Vienna usually has specific deadlines for different programs, and late applications may not be considered. Application deadlines for citizens of non-EU/EEA countries, regardless of where the high school leaving certificate was issued.


3) Create an online order:

Visit the official website of the University of Vienna (USPACE) and create an application account. This account will be used to submit your application and track its status. You will also use this network a lot throughout your studies to track grades, tuition payment deadlines, etc.

Screenshot 2024-01-03 142653

4) Prepare the necessary documents:

- Proof of nationality from an official identification document with a photo or a valid travel document.

- for enrollment in basic studies (bachelor) - high school diploma or a document of the same value

- for admission to master's studies - diploma of completed basic studies or studies of the corresponding level

- for admission to doctoral studies - diploma of completed master's studies or studies of the corresponding degree

- proof of the right to direct enrollment in a specific study program in the country in which the document through which the applicant is applying for studies was issued (not valid for citizens of the member states of the European Union, as well as those belonging to the European Economic Area)

- to enroll in studies in the German language for basic and master studies, you must have passed C1. German language certificates are OSD, Goethe or TestDAF. Without C1, you cannot enroll as a regular student. The minimum to apply for studies in the German language is to pass the A2 level of the above-mentioned tests, but you will be waiting to start studying regularly until you pass the recognized C1 test. This applies to all state universities. The practice of enrolling in a university in Vienna and Austria without knowledge of the German language and studying in Austria is no longer valid, you must have at least A2 to apply, and C1 to enroll in studies.

- Documents from foreign countries must be submitted in original or in the form of court-certified documentation, as well as translated by a court interpreter, if necessary, and most often it is.


If all conditions are met, the educational institution sends a notice of enrollment or an invitation for the entrance exam to the contact address provided. Upon arrival in Austria, the student registers in person. Studies in Austria and Vienna are not free. The hundred-year contract has passed and a year of study at all state universities costs 1,500 euros for citizens of Serbia and other non-EU citizens, while for those with an EU passport the price is 750 euros per year. Tuition is paid per semester. Payment terms

Summer semester 2024: from January 8 to March 31, 2024

Winter semester 2024/25: to be announced

Student residence visa:

Non-EU students in Austria need a residence permit to stay during their studies. This permit is usually issued for the expected duration of the academic program and you submit the request in person, if you do not speak German well, you have the right to an interpreter or to conduct the conversation in English. Here are some key points about a student residence card in Austria for non-EU students.Proces prijavljivanja:

-Non-EU students must apply for a residence permit at Magistrate 20 (Dresdner Straße 93, Block C, 1220 Wien) or the consulate in their country before arriving in Austria (Sime Markovica 2, 11000 Belgrade)

-Upon arrival in Austria, students must register at the local registration office (Meldeamt) within three working days.

Required documentation:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate with translation into German
  • Proof of admission to an Austrian educational institution (Zulassungsbescheid)
  • Proof of financial resources (eg bank statements)
  • Health insurance coverage
  • Confirmation of accommodation
  • Passport size photos (not older than 6 months)
  • Certificate of criminal record from the country of origin, which must not be older than 6 months (only for the first visa).
  • Proof of secured means of living, as well as confirmation of the origin of the money. The amount is prescribed based on the age of the student, and depending on that, the figure should be multiplied by 12 months and the amount obtained should be proved by a statement from your bank account.

Up to 24 years old – 515.30 euros per month

Older than 24 years – €933.06 per month

  • Health insurance (Non-EU students must have health insurance for the duration of their stay in Austria. This can be obtained by enrolling in the public health insurance system or by purchasing a private health insurance plan that meets Austrian requirements). There are many insurance companies in Austria, among which the Österreichische Gesundheitskasse (ÖKG) stands out. Through this insurance company, students can apply for student insurance where they are health insured during their studies. The price of this security on a monthly basis is approx. €61.39. The insurance application is made at any ÖKG headquarters, while the main headquarters, which is always at your disposal, is located at Wienerbergstraße 15-19 in the 10th district of Vienna. If a member of your family lives in Austria, there is a possibility joint insurance (Mitversicherung). Married persons, members of the closest family, as well as extended ones (uncle, aunt) are considered family members. The insurance is valid until the age of 27.

Most universities offer canteens whose menus include healthy and tasty food. The prices are adapted to the student's pocket, and with the stickers of the Student Union (ÖH-Pickerl) you can get a discount of 0.50 to 1.00 euros.

In the rest of the text, you will find the addresses of the canteens at Uni Wien



Working hours: CANTEEN: Mon-Fri (11:00-14:00), CAFE: Mon-Thu (08:00-17:00), Fri (08:00-16:00)

Address: Universitätsstraße 7, 1010 Vienna



Working hours: CAFE: Mon-Thurs (08:00-17:00), Friday (08:00-16:00)

Address: Dr. Karl Lueger Ring 1, 1010 Wien



Working hours: CAFE: Mon-Thurs (08:00-18:00), Friday (08:00-16:00)

Address: Schottenbastei 16, 1010 Wien



Working hours: CANTEEN: Mon-Fri (11:00-14:00), CAFE: Mon-Thu (07:30-18:00), Fri (07:30-15:00)

Address: Brünner Straße 72, 1210 Wien

In conclusion, Vienna's combination of academic excellence, cultural richness and high quality of life make it an attractive destination for students seeking a comprehensive and fulfilling educational experience. The city's commitment to innovation, together with its strategic location at the crossroads of Eastern and Western Europe, offers students unique networking opportunities and exposure to diverse perspectives, making it an ideal hub for personal and professional development.


Leave a Comment